Meet the Makers

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow tearooms building, established in 1903.

Alan Dawson

Legendary Alan Dawson, Master Blacksmith and Fellow of the Worshipful Company of Blacksmith has worked on the larger metal pieces for the restoration including the large metal lighting ring in the Front and Back Saloon and the exterior signage on the front of the building.

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow tearooms building, established in 1903.

John Creed

John Creed Designer and craftsman in metals, John has worked on the finer, detailed pieces for the restoration including the light shades and fittings in the Front and Back Saloon and Gallery, the fittings for the chandeliers in the Salon de Luxe and the fittings for the centrepiece baldacchino in the Front Saloon.

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow tearooms building, established in 1903.

Frank McGourlick

Clark Contracts are the main contractors for the restoration and their Manufactured Joinery Division has also created the fixed seating as part of the restoration, including in the Billiard Room and the frame for the centrepiece baldacchino in the Front Saloon. Frank McGourlick, expert joiner is a key member of the team working on the restoration.

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow tearooms building, established in 1903.

Angus Ross

Award winning Angus Ross and his team, based in Aberfeldy, specialise in combining traditional woodwork with the ancient process of steam-bending and the latest cutting technologies and have made the ladder back chairs for the Front and Back Saloon areas.

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow tearooms building, established in 1903.

Bruce Hamilton

Bruce Hamilton has gained recognition as a producer of fine quality Charles Rennie Mackintosh reproduction furniture and has created the low back armchairs for the restoration that you will see in the Front and Back Saloon and the Gallery.

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow tearooms building, established in 1903.

Linda Cannon

Linda specialises in stained glass conservation and is an accredited conservator who has worked for 40 years in stained glass design and colour work. Linda has worked on the restoration of the mirrored panels in the Salon de Luxe, fitting the glass in the doors, in the exterior signage, the lamps and fitting the glass to the Salon de Luxe chandeliers.

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow tearooms building, established in 1903.

Rab MacInnes

Rab is a glass designer, painter and accredited conservator, trained at Glasgow School of Art and the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris.  Rab’s work includes the design of the glass droplets for the chandeliers in the Salon de Luxe, the glass for the metal work in the exterior signage, the interior metal work and lamps and the glass for the silver Salon de Luxe chairs and tables.

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow Tearooms building, established in 1903.

Kelvin Murray

Kelvin and his team at Character Joinery specialise in traditionally skilled bespoke joinery and have created the striking silver finish chairs, tables and umbrella and coat stands for the famous and luxurious Salon de Luxe as well as the Order Chair for the Back Saloon.

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow Tearooms building, established in 1903.

Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Miss Cranston’s original Willow Tea Rooms Building at 217 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow were designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1903. These are the only surviving Tea Rooms where Mackintosh had complete design control, over both the interior and exterior. Today this beautiful A listed building is internationally recognised for it’s design by Mackintosh and as the one of the finest examples in the world of a complete Art Nouveau scheme.

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow Tearooms building, established in 1903.

Catherine Cranston

Catherine Cranston, widely known as Kate Cranston or Miss Cranston, was a leading figure in the development of tea rooms. She is nowadays chiefly remembered as a major patron of Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Margaret MacDonald, in Glasgow, Scotland

Margaret MacDonald

Margaret MacDonald

Margaret Macdonald was an innovative, influential and important Scottish artist, one of The Glasgow Girls, a key figure of the ‘Glasgow Style’ & member of the ‘Glasgow Four” who were highly influential to international art nouveau. A key influence and inspiration to her husband Charles Rennie Mackintosh, she created the beautiful gesso panel in the Salon de Luxe, a re-creation of which is being made as part of the restoration.

Mackintosh at the Willow - the original Willow Tearooms building, established in 1903.

Details of our other expert makers coming soon.

Watch the featured film below of Alan Dawsons experience of working on the restoration

Translate »